There are a lot of cheap offers for backlinks in Fiverr. But are they any good? Can they really help you with your SEO campaigns? In this article, we will talk about backlinks, Google, Fiverr, and how you can use them all to your advantage. Let’s dive right in.
Backlinks and their importance to SEO campaigns
Backlinks are clickable hyperlinks on an external page. These links lead back to your website, and that’s why they are called “backlinks.” Of course, for the owner of the external page, these are simply outbound links.
Backlinks need to be clickable hyperlinks. They may be anchored by texts or images. For example, you can use “prevent COVID-19” as an anchor text or an image of a person with a facemask as an anchor image. But there are backlinks that are not anchored by texts or images too and are just very simple URLs.
Backlinks are important for your SEO campaigns. Throughout the years, digital marketers and SEO specialists have ranked backlinks highly in their big list of priorities for their SEO campaigns. Google itself has repeatedly said that backlinks are some of the integral factors in determining search result rankings.
Google, Knowledge Graph, and PageRank
To understand backlinks better, let’s talk about Google and the search engine’s two prominent tools – Knowledge Graph and PageRank.
How Google’s search engine works
Because this article is about backlinks, let’s not dwell too much on Google and its tools. But it’s also important to understand the basics of the most popular search engine in the world. In simplified steps, here’s how Google’s search engine works.
- Google uses a bunch of tools to understand the user’s search query. The most prominent among these tools is the Google Knowledge Graph (more on this later). The other tools include algorithms for natural language processing (NLP) and natural language understanding (NLU) to recognize what the user is searching for.
- Once Google understands the user’s query, it uses the same tools to gather the most relevant content from its database.
- Google then uses PageRank to sort all the relevant content to a search result page. The search engine arranges the content according to what it thinks will satisfy the user’s search query the most. Of course, relevance is not the only factor it uses in search result rankings. It also considers the authoritativeness of the website and the page, factuality, timeliness, and other factors. Backlinks are great because they can significantly boost your authoritativeness.
The power of Google’s Knowledge Graph
What is the Google Knowledge Graph exactly? It’s a database of fresh information about the entities of Google’s indexed pages. An entity is a “thing or concept that is singular, unique, well-defined, and distinguishable.” Backlinks are considered as entities.
These entities don’t just come from indexed pages. They also come from the profiles of us users, including our activities in Google’s network. This network includes Gmail, YouTube, Android, Google Play, Google Hangouts, and so on. Now, that’s a lot of data.
Basically, the Google Knowledge Graph contains everything that Google knows about the internet.
And Google uses this tool to its advantage to make its search engine more effective and powerful. This database is steadily growing every minute as Google’s bots scour the internet for new and updated information.
But don’t confuse the Google Knowledge Graph with the Knowledge Graph Card or Panel. You can consider Google Knowledge Graph as the backend database and the Knowledge Graph Card and Panel as a frontend display.
The power of Google’s PageRank
In 2017, Google’s very own Gary Illyes said in a tweet that their ranking algorithm still uses PageRank for evaluating web pages. When talking about PageRanks, Google’s team members, digital marketers, and SEO specialists often link to this page, which says:
“The heart of our software is PageRank™, a system for ranking web pages developed by our founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University. And while we have dozens of engineers working to improve every aspect of Google on a daily basis, PageRank continues to play a central role in many of our web search tools.”
The page also explains how backlinks are considered as “votes.” But having a huge number of votes doesn’t necessarily mean that you will rank high in Google’s search results. The search engine also considers the “voters” or the websites or pages where these backlinks come from.
If the websites or pages are high-authority, you are more likely to rank better in search results.
But take note that backlinks are not the be-all and end-all in Google search rankings. Google uses more than 200 factors, including relevant keywords, search terms, and user intent. But that’s an article for another day.
Here’s how Google uses PageRank:
- Google bots crawl the entire internet for old and new web pages. They look for updates in old content and fresh information in new content. Then they add these to Google’s database. The company has a lot of computing resources, enough for the bots to simultaneously do this for millions of keywords, industries, and languages.
- While the bots are doing this, Google’s other algorithms identify the most relevant entities in each indexed page. A backlink can be considered as an entity.
- Google’s algorithms process the entities with the Knowledge Graph. They try to determine the relationships of the entities and their meanings. Basically, they are trying to “read” the content.
- This is where Google’s PageRank system comes in. They verify the content and calculate their SEO quality and rankings. Moz and other SEO companies have made metrics themselves regarding this system. They call it DA (domain authority) and PA (page authority).
Backlinks are important for your SEO campaigns because the biggest search engine and its tools read backlinks and consider them when ranking search results.
How to build high-quality backlinks
Backlinks are considered high-quality if they are found in authoritative websites and pages. It helps too if the backlinks are contextually relevant to the content of the websites and pages. For example, getting a backlink from the anchored text “COVID-19” from a Healthline article can be considered high-quality. Healthline is an authoritative health website and the backlink for “COVID-19” is contextually relevant to health.
But how do you build high-quality backlinks? Here is a simple step-by-step process.
Step 1: Find domains with significant authority in your industry, interest network, or niche
The best thing about these tools is that they are very intuitive. BuzzSumo has a lot of search filters that will help you weave through their database. You can enter keywords, niches, and other subcategories to narrow down your search. Moz, on the other hand, has a comprehensive domain authority rating system. DA ratings range from 0 to 100, with 100 being the highest.
You can also manually check the authoritativeness of a domain. For example, the domains of educational institutions and local governments are most likely authoritative. You probably don’t need the likes of Moz to tell you something so obvious. The domains of big companies like Apple and Microsoft are no different.
Step 2: Check the page authority of the recently published pages of your shortlisted domains
Page authority can predict the SEO quality and rank valuation of a page. It’s a good thing that the tools of Moz don’t just score domain authority. They also score page authority with a similar 0 to 100 range.
Again, if you don’t want to use tools, it’s still possible to somehow determine the page authority of a recently published page. Just take a look at how comprehensive it is and how relevant it is to the other content of the website. If the content is relevant and strong, there is a good chance that it has a high page authority.
Step 3: Verify the citation flow and trust flow of the domains and pages
Citation flow and trust flow have considerable effects on search engine ranking placements, so you should definitely check these as well. These are metrics you can find in Majestic SEO’s flow metrics system.
Citation flow predicts a domain or page’s authority in a particular field, industry, or topic. It is based on the number of domains that link to the domain or page. The more links it has, the higher its citation flow rating.
Trust flow, on the other hand, predicts a domain or page’s trustworthiness. It is based on the quality of the domains that link to the domain or page. The more trustworthy the domains, the higher the trust flow rating.
Step 4: Assess if there are opportunities to reach out to the domains
There are a lot of ways to get backlinks from high authority websites and pages. You can try advertising deals, content syndication, guest posting, and sponsored posts. Browse their main pages to find out if they are accepting such arrangements.
If they don’t blatantly say that they are accepting such opportunities, you can reach out to them directly. Most domains have a “Contact Us” page. You can reach their administrators and webmasters through there.
How to avoid low-quality backlinks
Backlinks are considered low-quality if they are found in low authority websites and pages. It doesn’t help too if the backlinks are not relevant to the content of the websites and pages. For example, getting a backlink for the anchored text “COVID-19” from a crossbreed dog website will not have the same weight as that from a health website.
Websites and pages with technically inaccurate and out-of-date information are of low authority.
So, how do you avoid low-quality backlinks? Here are some key insights.
Insight 1: Don’t believe those that guarantee top Google rankings
Nobody can guarantee top Google rankings. Period. Even the people in Google’s team will not be able to guarantee such a thing. There are just too many factors involved in search result rankings and many of these factors are very volatile.
Many backlink building service agencies and freelancers target business owners, digital marketers, e-commerce operators, and publishers who have minimal SEO knowledge. That’s why many times they get away with such guarantees.
Insight 2: Review the platforms and websites the backlink building service provider is working with
Look at the service provider’s packages. See if they are still offering backlinks from article directory submissions and Web 2.0. These are spammy tactics that don’t work anymore.
Google has caught up a long time ago. And if these backlink builders still use such tactics, you know they are not that good, to begin with. They have outdated tactics that will not produce results. They may even hurt you in the long run.
Insight 3: Avoid backlink building service providers who don’t talk about content syndication and guest posting
Based on the test results of many SEO professionals, outreach campaigns are some of the most cost-effective ways to get high-quality backlinks. So, if the backlink building service provider you are negotiating with doesn’t even talk about such campaigns in their tactics, you are better off moving on to the next one. Otherwise, you may end up wasting a lot of time, money, and energy.
Everything you need to know about Fiverr
You can use Fiverr to get high-quality backlinks. There are many competent professionals in Fiverr who understand Google’s tools, how to build high-quality backlinks, and how to avoid low-quality ones. Here is everything you need to know about Fiverr.
What is Fiverr exactly?
Fiverr is a microjob sourcing platform. Service providers can register an account and post all kinds of service offers. The services can range from digital ones like content writing to manual ones like handing out flyers to your local area. You can find a good variety of services on Fiverr, and of course, they are all legal.
There are a lot of service providers in Fiverr who focus on the many different aspects of digital marketing, like backlink building, email management, and on-page SEO.
How do you use it?
If you want to buy a service in Fiverr, you will have to register for an account. Complete your profile and payment details.
There are two general ways to buy services in Fiverr. You can either post about the service you need or reach out to service providers who are currently offering the service you need. Fiverr has a messaging platform, so contacting service providers is simple.
What are the available payment methods?
Fiverr accepts a variety of payment methods. It accepts debit and credit cards, and in some countries, PayPal. You can either link these payment platforms directly into your Fiverr account or simply top-up your account with credit points using these platforms.
You don’t have to worry about your information getting leaked. Fiverr is a safe and secure website.
Are there buyer ratings and reviews?
Yes. You can look at a service provider’s profile and see ratings and reviews from others who have availed their service. This is one of the most effective ways to know if a service provider is worth the time, money, and energy.
You can also leave ratings and reviews yourself once the service provider has successfully delivered the service to you.
Can you dispute low-quality orders?
Yes. You can dispute low-quality orders. Fiverr’s administrative staff will serve as the arbiter of your claim. You will be required to send some proof to back your dispute and refund claims. You may need to send things like receipts and screenshots of conversations.
Fiverr is a big site. It has an incredible database of service providers. Even though there are top-notch talents on the site, there are also a lot of low-quality ones. That’s why ratings and reviews play a significant role in finding the right service provider.
But sometimes, low-quality orders are not just the service provider’s fault. You may have communication issues that have made the service provider deliver something you do not like. So, make sure to communicate properly with the service provider and don’t just assume that they are low-quality.
How to get high-quality backlinks in Fiverr (6 simple tips)
Here are some of the most strategic tips to get high-quality backlinks in Fiverr and avoid low-quality ones.
Tip 1: Keep in mind that service providers in Fiverr are divided into hierarchies
There are four main levels of service providers in the microjob sourcing platform. You can see a service provider’s level by viewing their profile or service.
- New Seller. As the name suggests, these service providers are newly registered in the platform. Most of the time, these service providers offer more perks to attract new clients and make it to the next seller level. The slight downside of new sellers is that they don’t have a lot of ratings and reviews. This is only a slight downside because they usually provide results from clients outside Fiverr.
- Level 1 Seller. Service providers need to fulfill a lot of requirements to get the Level 1 Seller badge. They need to be consistent with these requirements for 60 days. They have to maintain a 4.7 average rating, complete at least 10 orders, have a 90% on-time delivery and response rate, and earn at least 400 USD. The service providers should also not have received any warnings in the last 30 days.
- Level 2 Seller. To get the Level 2 Seller batch, service providers need to fulfill the same requirements for that of a Level 1 Seller, only the numbers are much higher. They have to maintain the same average rating for 120 days. They also have to complete at least 50 orders and earn at least 2,000 USD.
- Top-rated Seller. This is the highest seller level in Fiverr. Service providers need to fulfill the same requirements, but again, at a much higher rate. They have to complete at least 100 orders and earn at least 20,000 USD.
Sure, hiring a seller at the top of the hierarchy is generally better. But this doesn’t mean you will not find good new and level 1 sellers. Everybody has to start somewhere, and many of them are not new to the game. They are just new to Fiverr.
Tip 2: Know that there are two types of backlink service providers in Fiverr
Service providers with backlinking services can be classified into two. Let’s just classify them as Type 1 and Type 2 for simplicity.
- Type 1. These service providers sell backlink placements across the websites and pages they handle. In many instances, these are known as private blog networks (PBNs). Many Type 1 sellers charge a monthly subscription fee to let your backlinks stay on their websites and pages. To sweeten the deal, they sometimes offer additional backlinks per month.
- Type 2. These service providers sell backlink building services. They will scour the internet to get backlinks for you on different websites and pages. The great thing about these services is that it is highly customizable. Just communicate well with the sellers. They can reach out to specific domains and contact persons you are targeting. They can also write content if needed.
There is no better type. The type of seller you want to work with will depend on your needs, wants, and preferences. And here’s another tip – try making small orders first before going all-out. You want to test the sellers first before investing a significant amount of time, money, and energy.
Tip 3: Look at the ratings and reviews of the service providers
There are three general things to look for when you are searching for backlinking service providers. You should look for the service provider’s seller level, backlink type, and ratings and reviews.
Their ratings will give you a general idea of how competent your prospective service provider is. Clients are able to leave ratings and reviews on a service provider’s profile or service.
For ratings, there are three prominent categories.
- Seller’s response time. Does the service provider reply promptly to the client’s concerns and inquiries?
- Service as expected. Does the service provider deliver the service as the client has expected?
- Buy again or recommend. Is the client satisfied enough to buy the service again or recommend the service to another?
For reviews, anything goes. But usually, these are comments clients type out.
Don’t just focus on the average ratings. Make sure to look at the reviews too. Some clients are just hard to please and will leave low ratings and poor reviews, and in some cases, the clients are also at fault for not communicating properly. So, the ratings and reviews can be a little skewed against the service providers.
Tip 4: Use Fiverr’s messaging tools to communicate with service providers
Communication is key to a job-well-done. Even the most competent service provider will fail if you don’t communicate properly. You have to tell them exactly what you need and want so can deliver the way you want them to. It’s a good thing that Fiverr has a built-in messaging tool you can use to message service providers. Use it to your advantage.
- Make sure that the service provider completely agrees to and understands your requirements. Give them your guidelines, requirements, and other specifications. You can message the service provider directly. You can also go to their service, make an order, and explain what you need and want on the appropriate boxes.
- Give them your contact information and business hours. This is especially crucial for complicated tasks. Your service provider may have a question and may not be able to move forward until you answer it. Make sure they have your content information and the hours you can be reached.
- You can also try other messaging tools. You can use messaging tools outside of Fiverr too, especially if you think the platform’s messaging tools are too limited. You can try Facebook Messenger, Google Chat, Skype, and Zoom. You can initiate video or voice chat for easier communication.
If you communicate properly with your service provider, you are more likely to receive top-notch service.
Tip 5: Ask the service providers to send reports and review them
You should keep up with what they are doing and how their efforts are affecting your website. You don’t just communicate with your chosen service provider. You also work with them. Of course, you don’t want to micromanage everything, especially the technical stuff that they know better than you. Let them do their thing. But there are some things you can do to make your Fiverr orders more effective and efficient.
- Give your service provider a schedule for submitting reports. Ask your chosen service provider to send detailed backlink building reports on a schedule. It can be specific, like every Friday. It can also be general, like every end of the week. This will create a routine that both you and your service provider will be accountable for.
- Carefully review the reports. Sure, your chosen service provider may be a top-notch seller, but this doesn’t mean you should just leave them and do their thing. You have to monitor how their efforts are affecting your SEO and traffic. Compare the analytics to a time where the seller has not started the service to get a better contrast.
- Avoid focusing on backlink quantity. More backlinks don’t necessarily mean better ratings. Most of the time, getting a few high-quality backlinks is better than getting a lot of low-quality ones.
Receiving and reviewing reports will also help you optimize your guidelines and requirements in the future.
Tip 6: Leave ratings and reviews
Leaving ratings and reviews has a lot of benefits for both you and your service provider. We are sure you don’t want to look for a new service provider each time you have a task that needs to be done. You want someone reliable and consistent. If you leave ratings and reviews, you are building a relationship with the service provider.
Leaving ratings and reviews also help your service provider get more clients and hone their skills more to do an even better job for you in the future.
- Leave high ratings and good reviews unless you have been truly dissatisfied. It’s best to give your service provider a 5-star rating and a good and honest comment. You reserve 4-stars and below on cases where there is certainly a lapse in their service. This will help build your relationship with the service provider. They may even exert more effort in the future to get consistently high ratings and good reviews from you.
- Give honest feedback for improvement. Sure, give high ratings and good reviews. But this doesn’t mean you should be fake. You should give honest feedback so they can improve in the future. This can benefit your orders too.
- Be careful with your wording. Many can be lost in translation when you are typing on the internet and not talking face to face. If you don’t word your comments properly, they may appear condescending, unprofessional, and rude. Make sure to read your comments first before submitting them.
Leaving ratings and reviews can only benefit both of you. There is no downside. You might as well do it and enjoy the benefits than do nothing.
Google is the most prominent search engine in the world. It uses a lot of tools to determine your rankings. Getting backlinks continues to be one of the main factors Google uses in determining the rankings of websites. It’s a good thing that you can find high-quality backlink building services on microjob sourcing platforms like Fiverr.
The platform has a lot of professionals who are familiar with Google’s tools. It also has a nice system in place to make working with service providers simple yet effective and efficient.